Friday, March 4, 2011

Remembering To Be Grateful



























When my niece and I were in Barnes, I spotted this collection of little blank books. I am a sucker for little blank books and the cute little birds on the front were impossible to say no to.

I decided to use one of them for a grateful journal. Each day I take the time to write down what I'm grateful for from that day. I've done this in the past, but it's been awhile. I felt like it was a good time to start doing it again.

I write in it almost every night before I go to asleep. It's a nice way to unwind and let the good (and the bad) from the day spill out. I try to be as specific as I can to that day. I don't list things I'm always grateful for, like the love of my family or having enough food to eat. I try to dig a bit deeper. I try to pay attention to the littler things. They aren't all that amazing or extraordinary. They are actually quite ordinary.

For me, it's just about pausing and reflecting on my day. Life can be so crazy and busy and demanding and this helps me to refocus. Some days, I find it hard to think of anything good and when this happens, I can look back and remember what was good about another day and I work hard to include those moments in the new day.

Here are a couple of the things I'm grateful for from this week.

// Enjoying dinner and conversation with a friend at a new restaurant I've been wanting to try.

// Getting to watch Parenthood. (I think this is one the best shows on TV right now.)

// Sleeping through the night three night in a row.

// Listening to an inspirational video by Ali Edwards for the Yesterday and Today class.

// Doing yoga. Feeling my body and mind strengthening.

// My sister telling me a story of my niece saying I was a really nice person.

What are you grateful for today?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! These little booklets are very cute:)
Rachel

Margie Higuchi said...

Grateful for good, healthy family...Warmer weather (come on Spring!)...A great job...good friends...Enough to know I have a good life :) That's mine for today! LOL!!

Hm..must find those cute little books! Have a great weekend!

PEA said...

I love the books and i used to do this too and I also should get back to it. Thank you for the gentle reminder. It is easy to get caught up by life. It is easy to look past the simple,wonderful moments that could take our breath away but we are blinded by the circles we are traveling. I am going to try to remember my book. Might have to snatch a cute birdy book to bring me a smile.
Blessings,pea

Tracy said...

Cute books those birds remind me of the show the partridge family. YOu are probably too young to remember that.
I too have kept a gratitude journal. You really do notice the little things more so when you do this.
I also list some of my things on my blog for Proud Tuesdays and Thankful Thursdays.
Come by and share on some of yours on those days.