Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Spotlight On The City|Pianos On Parade










Today, I'm debuting a new occasional series called Spotlight On The City. Since I've been unemployed, I've had to get creative with how I spend my time and money. I adore this city and I didn't want to crawl under a rock during this time. I wanted to stay positive and continue to enjoy life. So, I plan to share the free and/or affordable ways to take advantage of this great place I call home.

First up is Pianos On Parade. A joint venture between Keys 4/4 Kids and Mayor Coleman's Office. Pianos on Parade brings 20 pianos, each transformed by local artists, to the community to play and enjoy. The pianos are placed all over the city; in parks, on street corners, in neighborhoods, and anyone can play them. I think this is such a brilliant idea. I strongly believe that celebrating the arts (in all forms) adds to the health and vitality of a community.

My two nieces are excellent piano players, so I knew this would make an excellent adventure that they, my sister and I could go on. I mapped out our adventure, determining the best way to see the most pianos. We had a beautiful day to explore the city, people watch, and add a little music to the streets. Many of the pianos were in very public places and my nieces had no problem sitting down and starting to play. This will definitely be a day I will remember.






































































































No comments: