Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Ten on Tuesday




















1| I want to be back where this photo was taken. On my parent's patio. Enjoying a cold drink. Playing cards. Watching my nieces and nephew drenching themselves with the hose. I want more days like that.

2| I can't believe we welcome September this week. While I don't want to see summer go, I am craving soups and long sleeved shirts and cooler nights. It happens without even thinking about it. My body and mind are programmed for these changes whether I like it or not.

3| I saw Source Code and Something Borrowed. Not too impressed with either one, unfortunately. Source Code was really boring, which is surprising considering it was about stopping a terrorist attack. Something Borrowed was just the same ol', same ol', woman loves man, man loves woman, but they don't tell each other until the last minutes of the movie. You just want to bang their heads together. Wow, those were scathing. Sorry, if you enjoyed them. Just not my cup of tea.

4| The other day, I volunteered at Feed My Starving Children. A non-profit that uses volunteers to hand pack meals specifically formulated for malnourished children and ships it to countries in need. I, along with 53 other volunteers packed over 18,000 meals to feed 50 children in Haiti for a year. Not too shabby for a couple of hours. Still a lot to do though. I'm already signed up for another shift.  

5| I'm starting to pay attention to the TV premieres. I'm looking forward to The Good Wife and Parenthood returning. A new show I might check out is New Girl on Fox. I'm a fan of Zooey Deschanel.

6| I know the end of summer is near when the State Fair starts. I'm heading there this week. I enjoy people watching and eating various fried foods. I won't be eating fried butter on a stick however.

7| I'm so jealous of people who have iphones and are using the Instagram app. I love the effect on the photos.

8| I didn't get a chance to make a blueberry crisp while at home. It's definitely on my list this week. Another to do brought on by the approaching fall season.

9| The Studio Calico design team knocked it out of the park this month. Everyone's galleries are really amazing. There's too many favorites to list here. Truly amazing work. Check it out here.

10| One of my passions is to advocate for more affordable housing and to eliminate homelessness and poverty. I attended a training the other night and among the list of resources they gave us, one was called Spent. It's an online activity that challenges you to survive for a month by making tough choices as a low-wage worker. I failed on day 17. Will it save the world? No. But maybe it will offer you some perspective. Or maybe it will be a reminder of the millions of those who struggle everyday, especially children and you'll want to do something about it. Like volunteer or donate to a non-profit. Or maybe you'll just hug your loved ones a little tighter. Try it out.