Thursday, October 28, 2010

On The Easel

I've been eyeing the Studio Calico kits for several months now. I love their blog and the projects created by their design team. I find a ton of inspiration there. I finally decided to purchase one of their kits last month. I must admit I love the idea of receiving a box full of scrappy goodness every month.

The kit is called On The Easel. Honestly, I didn't love this kit. I created three layouts with it, but each one was somewhat difficult for me to finish just using the supplies from the kit. There wasn't as much there as I thought there would be. I think you're supposed to purchase the add-on kits to accompany the full kit, but there's an additional cost for each add-on. That adds up! So, the verdict is still out if I'll subscribe or not. But I will certainly continue to visit the blog and enjoy the talent of the design team.

Now, onto the layouts.






















This layout is about my first time playing on a clay court. I was expecting the bright red clay, but apparently the US doesn't make their clay courts like that. Bummer. I was hoping to get red clay all over the back of my shirt like Nadal when he falls onto the court with joy after he wins the French Open. The kit came with a bunch of window chipboard shapes from Maya Road. This was one product I was having difficulty with, never quite knowing how to use it. I also used a few strips of the decorative tape, which I have no problem using. Love it!






















This layout is my favorite of the three. I do love the color orange. There is a polaroid stamp as part of the kit that is really neat. I stamped it three times and then placed a small photo in each image. I'm a huge Crate Paper fan, so, I liked the few sheets of patterned paper that was included in the kit. Lastly, I fussy cut out the Market part of the title from a 12x12 piece of patterned paper, which was fun.

First up, my apologies for the poor photo. The weather has quickly turned this week and there has been very little natural light. I love the photo in this layout. A picture of my nephew trying to avoid an ostrich at a animal reserve. The animals had no problem coming up to say hello. I painted the white number stickers yellow. I'd never done that before and I liked how it turned out. I also used one of the window chipboard pieces to house part of the title. I painted this chipboard the same color as the number stickers. I like the little bits of yellow and red throughout.

Thanks for getting this far! If I decide to try out another kit, I will definitely share here. Do you subscribe to a scrapbooking kit? Do you like it? I'd love to hear what others are doing.

No comments: