Tuesday, January 12, 2010

What's In My Reading Pile



1) John Irving's, "A Prayer to Owen Meany." A recommendation from my Mom. I've started to read it and I don't know why I haven't read him before. Excellent.

2) Uwen Akpan's, "Say You're One of Them." This is an Oprah Book Club recommendation. Looking forward to diving into this one.

3) "Kids' Letters to President Obama." This is a delightful book. Whenever I'm having a "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day," I take out this book and I'm immediately in a better mood. Hope is restored. My current favorite is from a child who asked, "Do you think you could pass a law making chocolate a vegetable in our country?"

4) Donald Miller's, "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years." This was recommended by my favorite life artist and blogger, Ali Edwards. This book explores life and the importance of one's own story. It's a book of reflection, which I'm doing a lot of lately.

5) Barbara's Kingsolver's, "The Lacuna." I enjoyed "The Poisonwood Bible," and I have high expectations that this one is just as good.

6) Bill Clinton's "Giving." I'm rereading this one. This book gives detailed information about numerous organizations that are changing the world. One of my resolutions is to give more to organizations doing good work for women and children.

What are you reading?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read the Lacuna and enjoyed it very much. It was a little disorienting at the beginning trying to decide who 'I' was. Overall, very compelling, I thought!

Stephan said...

You've never read Irving? He's my favorite author! You'll love "Owen Meany." I'm enjoying Niffenegger's "Time Traveler's Wife." Have you read that?