Friday, July 2, 2010

Flashback Friday

For this week's Flashback Friday, we will be going back to this month seven years ago. I traveled with my sister, brother-in-law and two nieces to Sonoma Valley. My brother-in-law's family was having a family reunion there. What a wonderful place for a reunion! I had never been to this part of California and I was very excited. We were only there for a few days, so we had a lot to do in a short amount of time.

I remember flying into San Francisco. Flying was still new to me back then. We were surrounded by the bay which made me really nervous. I'm not a fan of heights or water. How again am I going to travel overseas?!

I remember it was foggy, so we couldn't see the bridge very well.


I remember we had a Ford Expedition as our rental car. It was massive, the biggest car I've ever been in, and ever been in since.

I remember the view from the home of my brother-in-law's relatives. It was atop a hill and it was spectacular. I remember just wanting to sit there all day and take it all in. I figured that wouldn't be very sociable.


I remember the air, how it was so fresh and clean and breathable.

I remember traveling down country roads and seeing vineyards covering the landscape. It was breathtakingly beautiful. We stopped at a few wineries along the way. Back then, I drank strictly Merlot (shocking, I know). Now that I'm (a bit) older and have been more adventurous in what types of wine I try, I imagine I'd have a fuller experience if I were to go back.


This pig was at one of the wineries and I'm afraid I don't remember its significance. But I still find the picture hilarious.

=

I remember swimming with M in this amazing backyard pool. I'm not sure what my sister promised me (threatened me with) to get me in that pool though. Did I collect? Hmm...


I remember playing Dominoes.

I remember my niece, D, was only 6 months. She did a lot of watching the rest of us. And we did a lot of holding her. She's a go with the flow kind of person, so she was a perfect traveling companion.


I remember wishing we had time to explore San Fran.

I remember my niece, M, charmed the airplane crew and they invited her into the cockpit after we had landed. What a neat experience!


I thank my family and my brother-in-law's family for letting me tag along and for welcoming me with open arms. A truly wonderful trip.

I've found that everywhere I've traveled, I always wish I could go back and explore more. I've never been anywhere that I said, ugh, I'm not going back there.

I'm a lucky gal.

No comments: