Thursday, February 24, 2011

Finally, A Home Mini























I purchased this home mini album from Elise awhile ago, but I finally got my act together and finished it up a few days ago. I see that Elise doesn't have anymore of these specific home ones in her shop, but if you like mini albums or are thinking of making one, you should definitely purchase one from her. They are always high quality and fun, unique product is always included.

(My hole punch is broken, so still need to punch two holes and put binding rings on.)

To me, the idea of a home mini is to capture what you love most about your home, what your home looks like at this particular moment in time. To essentially document where you're living now and how you live. In addition to the book I got from Elise, I used American Crafts product from their Adobe line. Perfect for a home mini album.













On the right-hand side, I talk about that I've lived in this spot the longest, except for where I grew up. I lived in the same house from one year old to 18. I figure I got lucky in finding this place.













On the right-hand side, I list some random facts in those cute stamped labels. This page came with the album and I think it's my favorite one. I love having fresh flowers. I love the farmer's market. I shop at Target and Kowalski's. I decorate with photos and scrap pages and projects. This will be interesting to look back on in five years or so to see if I'm still shopping at the same places.













On the left-hand side, I talk about how much I love to create and when I do I make a huge mess. I spread out everything on the floor.

On the right-hand side, I have a picture of my favorite overstuffed chair. I love overstuffed, comfortable furniture. Great for cuddling under a blanket and reading or watching a movie.












On the left-hand side, I talk about my new set of dishes I purchased last year. This is my first official set of dishes; a classic white. I also have a shot of the inside of my refridge, which may seem strange, but really tells a lot about me. This would be another neat shot to take again in a couple years and compare the items.

On the right-hand side, I talk about what I love and hate about where I'm living. I got this idea from Elise's home book. Take some time and check hers out. Very cool book.










The left-hand side shows a couple shots; one of my bookcase because I love to read and the other is of my growing collection of handmade pillows on my bed.

The right-hand side shows a shot of a typical day for me these days. In front of my computer, drinking tea and always an afternoon snack.













On the left-hand side is a shot of my dining room table/desk. My space is rather small, so this table plays most often as a desk and I will eat dinner in front of the TV.

On the right-hand side is a small label showing the prices I spend on rent, utilities, etc. Again, this would be neat to look back on in five or 10 years.

I like that my book has a combination of both what my place looks like and also how I live in the space. You could totally do one or the other too though. You could also just take a bunch of photos and print them out and put them in a photo album with sleeves with the date and a little bit of journaling. There are no rules. It's just neat to capture the spaces we spend a lot of time in. Whenever I look back on photos from my childhood, I always look in the background to see the wall coverings or at what I'm sitting on. It's cool to see the progression of the space both in decoration and how it's used.

So, there's my home mini. A super simple way to document where and how you're living now.

No comments: