Thursday, December 29, 2011

My Christmas Wish Came True






















My one and only Christmas wish came true. I got a job! As many of you know, I've been unemployed nearly a year, so this was truly an amazing gift. I am beyond thrilled! I'm doing work I'm excited and passionate about, which makes it even more amazing. I'm still absorbing it all and I'm still a bit in shock actually. But I can't wait to get started.

I'm so ready to put 2011 behind me. It's been a difficult year worrying about money, worrying about my future, carrying a lot of humiliation and enduring a lot of rejection. I am so very thankful to my parents, my brother and my sister who kept me going, who reminded me I could do it, who edited countless cover letters, who provided comic relief, who listened to me cry and yell in frustration and anger, and so much more. I simply couldn't have done it without them.

There were also many friends, former colleagues and complete strangers that gave of their time, shared advice and provided counsel. I am in their debt.

I also want to be clear that it wasn't all doom and gloom. There were definitely wonderful times this year, like meeting Josh Ritter, being published for the first time, traveling to the North Shore, and seeing my brother and his family more than any other year in recent memory. Hey, that gives me an idea for a layout!

I learned a lot too and I'm sure as I have more time to reflect, I'll realize even more. I could write a novel on the dos and don'ts of navigating unemployment, but here are a few that came to mind.

I learned that tenacity and perseverance pays off.
I learned that so many people want to help, but don't always know how. I learned I needed to ask.
I learned that getting up everyday with a to do list in hand was essential.
I learned that listening to all the financial gurus about saving for a rainy day totally paid off.
I learned it was okay and good for my mental health to take time to have fun and treat myself every once in awhile to take out or a movie.
I learned that volunteering was critical for keeping perspective.
I learned there is so much more to what makes a person worthy and special than what they do for a living.

I feel like the world is full of opportunities again. I can start dreaming and planning and wishing again.  I'm already excited about a few things on the horizon. I'm also thinking about how I can pay forward all of the love and kindness I received. 2012 is going to be awesome.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Yeah! Congratulations on the new job! I love your list of things you've learned. Happy New Year to you. :)

Blessed Ladybug said...

yeah congrats i;m still looking i know God will bless me also.. congrats again happy new years....

Pamela said...

Congratulations!!! Good for you! :)

Tammy said...

Congrats! I am so happy for you. Timing is everything. I hope this new job is all that you want and more. Happy 2012 - it IS going to be a great year! :)